Job Title: Head of Data Strategy
Policy Exchange is one of the UK’s most influential independent think-tanks with a strong record of achieving policy impact across a wide range of areas. As Head of Data Strategy, you will work across policy areas, including foreign policy, economic, energy and environment, health and housing policy.
Policy Exchange is looking for a confident, enthusiastic and politically minded person to help us develop an exciting and enhanced data offering. This will require working with a wide variety of experts across fields, as well as politicians, civil servants, business people and academics. A natural curiosity and facility with a variety of data sources, such as geospatial, demographic, financial and economic data are definite assets.
As Head of Data Strategy, you will help our policy units find, develop and refine new data sources and assist our policy teams in presenting and interpreting data in a rigorous and accessible way. You will also work proactively to find and use new databases, particularly open-source data and data on the UK Data Service. You will also take a leading role in developing and maintain relationships with outside partners, including polling companies and data analytics firms. You will help the research units maintain quality control on their data analysis and interpretation.
To be a strong candidate you would have
- At least 2-3 years experience in scoping, leading and executing analytical investigations and/or short research pieces
- Good facility with data visualisation software, such as Tableau or Microsoft Power BI
- Extensive experience using statistical languages, such as STATA and/or R.
- Experience in coding with commonly used languages, such as SQL and Python
- An excellent knowledge of widely used data sources and libraries in the United Kingdom, such as the ONS, the UK Data Service, and the HMRC Datalab
- Strong facility with using a variety of statistical techniques (e.g. clustering, predictive modelling)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A natural desire to learn about and interest in a variety of policy areas
- A can-do attitude to seek out new and interesting questions and new sources of data to answer them
- Strong self-starter and good team player with the ability to execute analytical research projects as part of a team or independently.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community. We value diversity and appoint on merit.
To apply please send a covering letter and CV to:- firstname.lastname@example.org